Balanced, natural-looking outcomes
There is a lot of information (and misinformation) about dermal fillers out there. If this is your first look into the world of aesthetics, we’re so glad you’re here. At Self Skin Studio, our mission is to help you revitalize your skin and find that makeup-free confidence everyone loves.
One treatment that we love at Self Skin Studio is Dermal Fillers (Juvederm and Restylane).
And we know, we know — sometimes Filler can get a bad rap (we’ve seen bad examples of it too 😬), but we’re here to tell you that Filler are a great option for natural, subtle changes that make a difference.
Ready to learn more about Filler and if it’s the right fit for you? Keep reading to learn why they are a natural, safe treatment to restore a more youthful glow.
Filler in Wilmington, NC: What it Is
Dermal fillers like Juvederm and Restylane are commonly used to hydrate your skin, restore its volume and bounce, and balance your face. The dermal fillers we use at Self are made of hyaluronic acid, a naturally-occurring substance already found in the skin that is responsible for hydrating, giving skin resilience, and plumping. They are formed into a soft gel that your body will absorb over time.
To make your treatment completely unique to your one-of-a-kind look, we use a range of dermal fillers that vary in thickness and elasticity to treat different areas of the face to reach your desired goal.
Wilmington, NC Filler: What it Treats
At Self Skin Studio, we use dermal fillers to treat the following areas:
- Under the eyes
- NLF (smile lines)
- Lines around the mouth
We believe in enhancing your natural beauty. Our thoughtful and intentional injectors are masters of their craft, and highly conservative and strategic about filler placement. You won't see overdone cheekbones or huge lips here! The art of fillers comes down to correct filler choice, placement, and balance. Subtle and nuanced changes can make a big impact!
Filler in Wilmington: What to Expect
At your appointment, our first step is applying a numbing cream to reduce any discomfort from the injection. If your lips are being treated, we use an advanced numbing technique that takes away any pain.
We then cleanse the area with an antiseptic and inject the filler into the treatment area – results will be immediate! The full impact of the procedure will be visible within 10 and 14 days. The dermal fillers are temporary, lasting between 6 and 24 months based on placement and the specific product used, and absorb naturally over time.
Our injectors are skilled in the most effective techniques and will ensure you are fully informed and comfortable at all times. Of course, some areas are more sensitive than others. However, all of the dermal fillers we use contain lidocaine, an anesthetic, that helps with discomfort.
It is common to experience temporary redness, swelling, bruising, or tenderness for a time, but will soon turn to that balanced look you were hoping for!
Filler in Wilmington, North Carolina: Pre- and Post-Care Instructions
As you prepare for your appointment, please use these instructions for maximum results:
- Start Arnica supplements at least 3 days before your injections to help with bruising.
- Avoid taking Aspirin and Non-Steroidal Anti-Inflammatory Drugs (NSAIDs) such as ibuprofen, Vitamin E, fish oil, Ginger, Ginkgo Biloba, Ginseng, St. John's Wort, flax oil, Cod Liver oil, Vitamin E and Garlic 3-14 days before the procedure. These drugs and herbs may cause excessive bleeding or bruising. Please consult with your primary physician before discontinuing any medications.
- If you have a history of cold sores, we recommend an antiviral within 12 hours before and after treatment.
- To minimize bruising and swelling, please avoid alcohol, caffeine, Niacin supplement, high-sodium foods, high-sugar foods, refined carbohydrates, spicy foods and cigarettes 24 to 48 hours before and after your treatment.
- Please plan on the possibility of having a bruise and make sure you do not have any major events scheduled for two weeks after your injections.
- If you are feeling ill or develop a rash in the area to be treated before your appointment, we recommend that you please reschedule your appointment until it resolves.
- You may not be pregnant or breastfeeding.
After your appointment, you can expect the following:
- The most common complications following dermal fillers include swelling, bruising, or tenderness at the injection site. These typically lessen or disappear within 24 to 48 hours. Some bruising may last up to 10 to 14 days.
- For 24 to 48 hours, expect some swelling. Sleeping face up and as upright as possible will lessen this. After about 2 weeks, the swelling should subside.
- Try to avoid wearing makeup or lipstick until the day after treatment. If you must wear makeup, we recommend mineral makeup for the face or Aquaphor ointment for the lips.
- Avoid strenuous exercise and alcohol for 24 hours after the procedure to decrease your risk of bruising.
- Some temporary lumpiness and asymmetries are fairly common due to swelling and will almost always even themselves out in the first 2 weeks.
- Avoid pressing, rubbing, or massaging the treated area unless instructed otherwise by your provider.
- Limit exposure to excessive sun or extremes of temperatures until the initial swelling or redness has resolved or three days after treatment.
- In the unlikely chance that you experience excessive pain, discoloration or blanching of the skin (very pale or has a bluish tint), excessive swelling, visible red lumps, or whiteheads, please immediately contact us.
- It is recommended that you wait at least 2 weeks before having any dental procedure or other facial treatments (i.e. facials, peels, massages, lasers, ultrasounds, microdermabrasion).
- Follow-up is generally scheduled 2 weeks post-treatment.
Schedule Your Wilmington Filler Treatment
We want to help you show off your best self. Modern dermal fillers are a safe, effective, and easy way to a more youthful look, with no downtime involved. Start on your journey by scheduling your filler appointment here.